Application for Funding from BrainsCAN Human Cognition and Sensorimotor Core (HCS RIC)
The CFREF BrainsCAN Human Cognition and Sensorimotor Research and Innovation Core (HCS RIC) has funding every year until 2023 to support and maintain core experimental equipment on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the WIRB that is used to study human physiology, cognition and behaviour. These funds can support:
- repair or replacement of broken equipment, or replacement of unreliable or slow
stimulus delivery/response collection computers;
- consumables like EEG gel, ECG electrodes, eartips, disposable fiducial markers, etc;
- new equipment to supplement or extend the functionality of existing equipment;
- services like building a special piece of equipment;
- programming that will supplement or extend the functionality of equipment;
- maintenance/service contracts;
- other requests that fit the spirit of improving our lab capability or the quality of our
data (as long as this can be justified).
Please note that these funds are not intended to cover salaries/wages for personnel; or compensation for volunteers; or personal computers or equipment to be used by only one person.
Agencies like NSERC (Tools and Instruments) or CFI (Infrastructure Fund) might be more appropriate for larger requests. Priority will be given to applications that will benefit more than one lab.
If your request is urgent (for example, because a key piece of equipment just broke and it needs to be replaced yesterday), then please tick the ‘urgent’ box on the form, and the HCS RIC Committee will discuss this by e-mail. If the request is not urgent, it will be discussed at the next meeting of the HCS RIC Committee as long as the request is submitted 2 or 3 days before the meeting. HCS RIC Committee meetings are held the third Tuesday of every month (with few exceptions) and will be posted online soon.